Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Pretty Boy ain't done yet


We'll admit, we were more than underwhelmed by the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight (if it hadn't cost us $65 maybe we'd see things differently), but today's news that Floyd Mayweather Jr. - the best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet - isn't hanging up the gloves yet thrills us. He doesn't like that British knockout artist Ricky Hatton has been saying some unsavory things about Floyd in the press lately.

"I was retired but I'll sign to fight Hatton right now. I've tried to let the things he said about me slide by, but now he's 'dissing' me on national TV and I want to shut him up. I've never wanted to hurt an opponent like I do Hatton."

Yes! Look, we've tried to give MMA a shot, but something about all that buildup for two minutes of action you can't even see that clearly has kept our feet firmly on the ground as far as that bandwagon is concerned. We watched Hatton destroy Jose Luis Castillo Saturday, and we think he can give Mayweather something he sorely needs - a strong punch to the face.

We've always wanted to know what Mayweather would do if really punished. How big a heart does he have? We know he has fantastic skills, but we've always questioned his power. Hatton has power and youth, one of which Mayweather's last oppponent (who shall remain nameless) sorely lacked. The anticipation is building, and Jim Lampley's shorts are stained.

No comments: